Monday, June 1, 2009

Gardening is so much fun....and so much work!!!

The onions are lookin' good! Also there are little green onions and carrots on either side of the onions that are just starting to sprout! Yea!!! (I know.....I need to weed, but my garden is HUGE I'd need an army to have all the weeds gone every day!)
My beans are doing well.....we even have a few that are ready to be picked! You can also see the peppers in the background!
Austin is showing you the peas....we have two different varieties and the taller ones are almost as tall as he is! I saw one pea pod on there today and they are starting to get some more blossoms! I love peas!
We planted some pumpkin seeds so we wouldn't have to buy any for Halloween.....little did we know they would do so well! This is the biggest of the 8 plants....I'm actually pretty excited about our own little pumpkin patch! :)
Here are some yellow sqash plants (we have lots of these....I'm sure we will be giving it away)!
One of our early girl tomato plants already has a tomato on it! :)
Strawberries.....we have already had a dozen of them.....Austin likes to pick them and eat 'em whether they are ripe or not....we are working on this problem :) The raspberry starts are in the back!
Here is the grapevine that was already here when we moved in (we didn't even know it was there until last year 'cause it looked so dead, but with a little water and weeding it is looking great and even more productive than last year!
This is a view of the whole garden and also a corner of the grass where we just put seed down this year! Daniel has mowed it once and we think it is doing pretty good! Our back yard is very long....the front half is grass and the back half is garden! We definitely have our work cut out for us! Some of the other things we have planted that are not pictured are: Watermelon, canteloupe, spaghetti squash, zuchini squash, red peppers, chile peppers, jalapeno peppers, spinach, and bok choy(for those of you that don't what that is...it kinda reminds me of celery...very yummy) and I still plan on planting some radishes, lettuce, cilantro, basil, dill, mint, and picking up some cucumber starts to plant! I better hurry! :)
Austin loves to play on the swingset.....he pretty much loves anything outdoors just like any other kid his age!
This pic wasn't that great, but I just couldn't leave Austin holding the baby long enough to get a great shot! But I had to show that these are my helpers in the garden.....Austin likes to help weed and does a pretty good job, and Shaelynn just wants to go wherever I am going and makes it more of a challenge to figure out how to do things one handed! We have lots of fun! :)

4 comments:

Lauri and Randy said...

the garden looks great! what cute little helpers

Di said...

Wow! Looks (and sounds) great! Bok Choy huh? maybe I'll have to try that.... I'm jealous of your grapevine!!! I hear you about those pesky weeds...grr!

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

Oooooh, looks great! you guys are gonna be lovin it in a couple months!

Brinda said...

Your garden looks gigantic! That will be fun when it starts producing :) We had a great time having you guys stop by!