Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A trip to the store....

Sorry, no pics today. Today I took all the kids to the store to do some grocery shopping and I was having a hard time getting Austin to stay sitting in the cart! He kept wanting to stand up, sit on the edge, try to climb out, etc.........so I thought I'd give him something to hold! I gave him a can a green beans.....big mistake! He actually held it for a long time, but over in the produce section where I was looking for some good celery......he dropped it on my toe!!! Now maybe I sound like a big baby, but it was all I could do not to cry! So I'm crouched down in front of my cart full of children (7 months pregnant no less) and holding my toe, trying to breathe and focus so I wouldn't cry......it hurt that bad, it really did, I thought he may have broken it! Anyway, can ya picture this? I'm thinking.....to any onlookers I must look like I'm going into labor! People just looked at me kinda funny, but didn't say anything....so I decided I better at least stand up and pretend to be Ok! So then I hobble away with my throbbing toe and get thru the checkout without any problems, thank goodness! But as we're loading the groceries in the parking lot, the kids see my toe all purple and starting to bleed! Tyler's like....."Eewwww, gross.....your toe is bleeding, I can't be by you 'cause you're bleeding!" Then Mikelle is like "Eewwwwww, I want to see!" And Tyler is like "C'mon Mikelle, we can't be by Mommy, 'cause she's bleeding and it might get on us!" Silly kids!!!
So after all that drama, I was just exhausted and decided to pick up Wendy's for lunch since Daniel is in Cedar City for meetings and wouldn't be home for lunch anyway! So we're waiting in the Drive-thru at Wendy's with cars full of high school kids in front of and behind us waving to each other and I'm thinking back about going out for lunch when I was in high school...fun times...then one of the kids in front of me just drops a mountain dew can out his window! I'm going.....did he seriously just throw trash out the window in the Wendy's driveway? I mean you see trash along roads all the time, but I figured it was mostly stuff that blew away on accident or something! I don't think I've ever seen anyone deliberately just throw trash on the ground (I'm sure it happens all the time, just not right in front of me). That just irritated me....and I'm like....I should be a good citizen and go pick that up....but then I thought....but I'm pregnant and I just smashed my toe and I don't want to get out of the car in the Wendy's Drive-thru in front of all these people, etc......then I thought.....if I can't do this simple little thing, then how will I be able to stand up for something that's really important (plus, I thought this would be a great teaching moment with my kids about littering)! So, I got out and walked around my car and picked it up and put it in a trash bag in my car.....and explained to my kids why we shouldn't litter and why we should clean up after people that do and so on! Well, the kids who threw it out saw me.....and hopefully they will think twice before doing it again, but even if they don't, I still felt better that there was one less mountain dew can on the ground! :0) Sorry I was so long-winded today!!! I guess I just needed to vent!

5 comments:

Brinda said...

oh man Mica, sounds like quite a day! I hope your toe is feeling better. I know how much it hurts, I've had that happen too and it does feel like a broken bone!!!

Awesome way to be a good example not only to your kids, but the silly teens who littered!

Shanan Wasden said...

Aaawww! it sounds like you had a hard day! i'm sorry about your toe, i hope it gets feeling better! you just called moms phone so maybe i'll be talkin to ya soon

Megs said...

Good for you showing those silly teens what 'cool' really is! You are the best!! I once broke my pinky toe getting tangled up with Amanda getting up off of the floor- boy, oh, boy hurt toes are seriously the worst! Wretched beans- canned veggies are dangerous!

Bec, Tim and Boys said...

Oh, Mica, we really do need to live by each other! Even though your story was sad, I got a good laugh in out of it! And the littering thing just totally bugged me! Isn't that about the laziest thing you could do - just throw your garbage out the window?? Lame! I'm glad you were a good example, broken toe and all. I hope you can take a few days to rest - tell Daniel he has to do the dishes til your toe gets better! Hee Hee.

Now that I am feeling better on some days, we are planning on coming to K town more often. Well have to come over and play.

Nicole B. said...

Hey Mica, you most likely do not remember me but we used to be in the 19th ward in Cedar together. Lisa kept reminding me that you moved to Kanab and so I just thought I would put a shout out to you that I will be moving there at the first of December. You will have to let me know how you like it there because I have had a hard time with this move.