Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Squash Bugs! Aaaaaaaaahhhh!!!

This is where they have all been hiding!
In the pumpkins!!! These things reproduce like crazy! I am constantly squishing them! But I have never seen anything like this before! The pumpkins are kinda hard to get to right now 'cause the plants are so huge.....so the bugs are taking over!
A cute little orange pumpkin! I'm excited for October! Hopefully we will still have some by then!
The tomatoes are doing awesome.....I just need some sturdier cages.....they are so big and heavy that they are tipping them over!
Yea for watermelons! They are finally coming on! Hooray! Can't wait for them to be ripe!
The cantaloupes are producing really well and we are sure looking forward to trying one of them here soon!
This is a big ol' spaghetti squash and a zucchini behind it if you look closely! We've had 2 spaghetti squash already! Yummy!
Isn't this amazing! I love it! But this picture doesn't quite do the mountain of zucchini and yellow sqash on my counter justice(especially the monster zucchini they are piled on)! We've really been enjoying the tomato and cucumbers lately! The carrots and onions need a little bit longer though....they are still fairly small! I see a few squash meals in my future....don't you? Let me know if you want some squash.....fajitas with squash is my new favorite! Please come take some.....I really can't eat it all....and my kids are really getting sick of it! ;)

6 comments:

Cami said...

Eeeewwwwah! Squash bugs are uuuggglly! Not as ugly as the huge spiders Jeff squished by my basement door tonight! Shiver! He was bringing Jessalie home and he saw one and squished it! Then he kept saying, "there's another one! And another one!" There was at least 8 or 9! HUGE! I'm going for bug spray first thing in the morning. Now, between my spiders and your squash bugs, I'm going to have nightmares for the rest of the night! Yuck. :)

Cami said...

Eeeewwwwah! Squash bugs are uuuggglly! Not as ugly as the huge spiders Jeff squished by my basement door tonight! Shiver! He was bringing Jessalie home and he saw one and squished it! Then he kept saying, "there's another one! And another one!" There was at least 8 or 9! HUGE! I'm going for bug spray first thing in the morning. Now, between my spiders and your squash bugs, I'm going to have nightmares for the rest of the night! Yuck. :)

Grammy Sue said...

Well Micha I wondered when those pesty bugs would find those high producing squash plants of yours. You can be proud your plants lasted this long. I love your family pictures they are absolutely DARLING!!!!

Bec, Tim and Boys said...

I don't know if this works or not, but I heard that if you put egg shells around your plants it repels the squash bugs! It's worth a try, huh?

Your garden looks awesome! I'm sad I didn't take any pictures this year, and of course, being here in St. George, our garden is pretty much done. It's too hot now. Good idea with the spaghetti squash! It sure looks yummy!

I really like zucchini in my fajitas too! And, I always sneak zucchini into fruit smoothies that I make with my vitamix. So my kids are getting veggies and they don't even know it! :)

Di said...

Yigg for the bugs! Good luck with that! Your garden looks GREAT! I'm jealous for the melons! And I hear you on the Zucchini overload, we're not doing terrible this year, but we came home and had 3 MONDO huge ones, and 5 smaller ones...

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

Those bugs are so gross, but your garden looks GREAT!!!